Tuesday 15 January 2008

Waiving My Right to Reject the Right


The question I posed to The Girls on Saturday night was: what is your dealbreaker? When it comes to dating, what is the one quality that would cause you to reject a man and not give him a chance, on the grounds of offensiveness?

Answers ranged from "stupidity" to "height" (my friend I will only date men no shorter than 6"4 - 6"2 in special circumstances - and will accuse them of misrepresentation and leave if they are any shorter) to "too obsessive about football".

I have 2 dealbreakers. The first is poor spelling, punctuation and grammar. Most offensive is the use of "your" instead of "you're". I also hate people who use commas where only a semi-colon would suffice (although for the perfect biceps, I am prepared to overlook this offence). Bad spelling and grammar indicate no attention to detail, inability to learn correctness from repeated exposure and someone who simply doesn't read enough. Dealbreaker!

The second thing that completely puts me off is someone who is either politically ignorant or someone who is too right wing. A very big no for me.

But - arrgh - I have a date this week with one of the few people on the dating site who stands out for not being a suburban clone and has something interesting to say for himself. Actually, what really impressed me was his wild eccentricity, his knowledge of good whiskies and the fact that he accused me of looking like a drag queen in one of my photos (he was right and I admire his directness). BUT - he is right wing. He doesn't even describe himself as moderate (which usually means right wing and unself-aware). He compared mixing a right winger with a liberal to holding a match to a bomb. I countered that explosive is always good.

So let's see what happens when 2 opinionated people with different political views meet. With whisky in the mix, it should be interesting.

At least he can spell.

No comments: