Thursday 17 January 2008

Committed to Cads




When I publicised my list of phobias a while ago, I left out an interrelated set of phobias: fear of commitment, fear of getting into a relationship, and fear of functional dating.

There are currently two people I have made it past the Second Date milestone with (a major commitment in itself for me): The Minor Celebrity and The Irresponsible Cad. (No prizes for guessing which one I favour.)

Technically, The Minor Celebrity ticks all the boxes I pretend not to have: he has a brilliant mind, is highly driven and ambitious, very politically committed (and on the right side of the compass: left, that is). He is very direct. He is also very creative and has a wide range of interests outside of work. His blog is brilliant. And I have managed not to scare him, which has to be the ultimate test. But because he really likes me, the challenge has disappeared, and I have lost interest.

The Irresponsible Cad runs his own business, which you’d think would make him a motivated over-achiever, but I am more inclined to think it’s part of a cunning plan to stay in bed until midday and avoid having to do any work. He somehow manages to live a life of luxury though, and he is capable of committing, but only to his partying. He got arrested in Israel last week, and he kindly called me at 02.00 this morning, requesting a blow job. I find his naughtiness incredibly endearing, and feel most intrigued by him.

Maybe I should give up. Or marry the 22 year old. Or something.

No comments: