Wednesday 19 December 2007

Playing Poker




The new week brings with it a new Facebook poker. He turns out to be a fellow North-West Londoner, madly into sport and training, with an interesting job (TV journalist), Jewish and 6 ft tall (2 phrases rarely used in the same sentence). We chat for a few days and eventually decide to meet this Wednesday.

On Monday, however, I receive a text message:
"u around tonite? i'm coming round on my way home."

"Erm... coming round where?" I want to know.
"I don't have long," he tells me, "but let's meet when you're back from the gym"

I consider this. My hair and skin look good today, and I am wearing a pretty dress, so why not? We can continue the interesting conversation we had last night.
"I'll meet you at 8.30 at X station," I tell him.

And then, he replies with this corker of a text message, which has definitely made it into my repertoir of Top Ten Horrendous Dating Stories:

"Do you have any condoms?"

I mean SERIOUSLY! Don't get me wrong: I am under no illusion as to where this encounter was going to end up. But bloody hell, is it too much to expect a date or two beforehand? Don't I at least get a drink beforehand? Do I not get to meet him and decide whether or not I wish to exchange bodily fluids with him before graces me with half an hour (if I'm lucky!) of his precious time?!

Now: here's the interesting issue: although the condom comment ruined the entire flirtation and build-up for me, and Condom Man is clearly an arsehole, perhaps his way is just more honest and direct than the whole pretence of going through the process of a date. If he had bought me a drink, an actual transaction would have taken place, so surely had I slept with him after that, the whole encounter would be more prostitute-like, no?

So why does leaving the date out of the equation feel so much more degrading?

No comments: